Monday, November 13, 2006

Direct me to your acrylic section, please

This weekend I performed my dreaded annual pre-winter Washing of the Sweaters. It's when I pull out all the thick and comfy sweaters from storage to de-stink and re-fluff them.

It's a very time-consuming and space-consuming ritual. I have to hand wash every single one and then find a place to lay it out flat to dry. Main Man was away on business, so I cleared every possible flat surface in our home to accommodate wet sweaters, and then I got down to it.

It took forever, and 2 days later, some of them are still not completely dry. And thing is, I'll need to do this several more times during the winter. Fuck.

So I've made a decision: I'm retiring my "Hand wash only; Lay flat to dry" wardrobe. I'm done. I quit.

I'm buying acrylic sweaters from now on. If it doesn't go from washer to dryer, it's not going in my closet. I don't have time to be fucking around with fabric that's afraid of water and a little heat. (Well, okay... that's not true. I've got all the time in the world. But that's not the point.)

Now when I go shopping for sweaters, I'll get to watch my hair stand up on-end every time I pull one over my head. When I wear one, I'll get to feel the jolt of static shock every time I touch something metal or walk across a carpet to shake someone's hand.

But I'll also get to throw the damn thing in the washer and dryer when I'm done. And then I can do more important things, like laying myself flat to rest.




5 Comments:

Blogger Just Spence said...

can we get a pool going on how long it'll be before we see a post about how static electricity sucks?

November 13, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Hey! No commenting behind my back. (And the House - that's me - gets 10% of winnings... just so you know).

November 13, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Just Spence said...

oh i'm commenting right IN YO FACE, berry. and i don't trust you to not fudge the bets. i'll post to your face, but bets are strictly back-alley affairs, believe you me.

November 13, 2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to a similar conclusion about anything that requires ironing. Just not worth it.

November 16, 2006 3:20 AM  
Blogger Berry said...

Don't even get me started on ironing, PFS. I'm telling you, acrylic RULES!

November 16, 2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home