Wednesday, March 01, 2006

And then the boys sang...

The talent pool clearly lies with the guys this season. While the girls produced a yawn-fest last night, the guys brought their game tonight. My take:

Taylor Hicks: I just love this guy! He's real, he's weird, he's original, he's incredibly talented. And the one thing that Simon griped about during the auditions (the gray hair) turns out to be his endearing trademark. Kind of like Barbra Streisand's nose. I just need him to go easy on the "Wooo"s. Once or twice is cool... but after every sentence is just disturbing.

Elliot Yamin: I take back my prediction yesterday about this being Paris' season. This guy will be right up there during the finals, giving her a run for her money. His voice captivates my attention 100%. He starts to sing, and the crowd goes wild. His voice is sexy, sexy, sexy, and he's a nice guy to boot.

Pretty boy Ace: I remember a Partridge Family episode where Keith is completely infatuated by some chick who can't sing her way out of a paper bag, but he hears her through biased ears, and to him she sounds like an angel. Well.... I think Ace should stay clear of paper bags. Seriously, he's got a girly voice that's not always on key, and I think the audience is simply entranced by his looks. The judges are fighting hard to keep him in for as long as possible... they smell $$$$ with his looks. But seriously, Ace... please stop with the lost puppydog looks. I'm not buying it.

Gedeon: Like Taylor, this guy's a natural performer who's into his music. He lives it, breathes it. You can tell. He's all of 17 years old! Unbelievable. Very authentic; can't help but like the kid, goofy-creepy as he looks sometimes.

Kevin "Chicken Little": First of all, I can't believe they did the Chicken Little bit. They just buried him by doing that, and by his alarmed facial expression, he knows it. Anyway, he's this year's geeky underdog, and while he's destined to get laid before the Spring is over, there's no way he's winning this. Watching him sing Marvin Gaye tonight was just weird... it was like watching Radar from M*A*S*H "get down". He was hopping around on his heels like a muppet, for crying out loud. Problem is, though, that he's gaining a bit too much confidence. His geekiness is only cute without the confidence.

Sway: I can't figure out why no-one likes this guy. He's likable, he's smart, he's got a good voice, and he's good looking. There's just something missing, and I can't put my finger on it. I don't think he'll last much longer.

Will "Brady": This guy's jail bait. Simon says his target audience is 11 year-old girls. Simon clearly doesn't know women. I think I actually saw Paula drool a little. It's creepy... this kid has to go.

Bucky: Wha...?? What did he say? Oh God no... don't talk, honey. Just sing. Shhhhh.... no! Stop it. (sigh) I can't understand a word he's saying. Anyway, he sang a country song. I got bored.

David the Crooner: You know, I very quickly got sick of the last crooner that hung around way too long, and this guy's no exception. Plus I think he's a robot. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Chris: He's this year's bonafide rocker. He's intense, and sexy as hell. The judges love him, and he's a very likable guy. His voice is not nearly as smooth or refined as Bo Bice's, but he's got Bo's charisma. He's here for a while.

Paula's pet word for the day: "Zone". I'm not sure she's ready for the letter Z yet. Maybe she's being a tad too ambitious, but a valiant effort nonetheless.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home