Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's officially almost winter

I have an appointment to get my winter tires installed this afternoon. Most folks wait until the first snow before they do this. I think that's silly.

Not only will I be prepared to drive safely-ish in that first snowfall, I won't have to fight the herds of drivers racing to the nearest garage to change their tires in a couple of weeks.

I'll be treated nicely by the garage guys, because they won't be overbooked and overstressed. They'll have had time to eat their lunch today. They'll smile at me, and I'll smile back.

I'll sit comfortably in the quiet, empty sitting room, sipping coffee and reading a magazine. When it's all done, I'll drive back to the office at a leisurely pace, knowing that I'm prepared for the change of seasons.

When I get home tonight, I'll store my summer tires in a neat pile. I'll give them a pat, and tell them "I'll be seeing you boys in a few months." Then I'll turn out the light in the storeroom, and close the door.

I'll make my way upstairs, and I'll look out the kitchen window at the trees. They're already mostly bare, their branches flittering in the cold breeze. God, they look lonely.

And then I'll do what every good woman does when it's officially almost winter. I'll pig out!!! Woooo-hooo!! I'll eat hoards and hoards of comfort foods!.... Mashed potatoes! Pies! Home-baked COOOOOKIES!!! Yeeeha!

I'll wear fluffy sweatpants and woolly socks! I'll eat dinner at 5pm, just because it's dark already! I'll watch corny movies, starting now and continuing straight through the holidays! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

But first, I'll change my tires.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Smart woman, I'll be right over for the movie fest.

October 21, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Just Dave said...

Back when the earth had just cooled, I worked at a full-service gas station. The first time the temperature dropped to close to freezing, we would have lines around the block with people putting antifreeze in their radiators. Back then, you had just plain water in there so you would have to drain the water and put in the antifreeze. Unlike your non-procrastinating self, these folks always waited until the last minute. We did not smile at them and we did not treat them kindly because we were burning our hands on their stupid radiator caps and working many hours of unpaid overtime.

October 22, 2006 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home