Tuesday, March 27, 2007

American Idol - 10 bottles of beer on the wall

When I heard Gwen Stephani was the celebrity guest coach mentor thingie, I thought tonight would be a disaster. I just couldn't picture (for example) Lakisha attempting anything remotely related to Ska.

It seems the show producers were thinking along the same lines, because the contestants got to pick songs from people who "influenced Gwen" as well. Good call, fellas. I also suspect that Donna Summer was thrown in there for fun, because I can't for the life of me picture Ms. Stephani actually listing her as one of her influences. I guess they wanted to give Lakisha and Melinda something to shine with.

Anyway, without further ado...



Lakisha: Great vocals, but a wee bit predictable, I guess.

Fluffy Chris: Wow, a Police song. That can't be easy. Whoa... dude has zero rhythm. He gets all screwed up when he tries to move across the stage. (Steve Martin in The Jerk much?) Paula just summed it all up best... and I can't believe I just said that.

Goth Gina: She's actually sounding a million times better than the original. She's looking sexy, too, in a rock n' roll way... less highschool goth. Good job!

Sanjaya: HAAAAA-haha-ha!!!!!!!!!! Oh, bless you, Sanjaya! Seriously, you made my day! You know, you're way too young to remember this, but.... oh fuck it, I won't even try to explain it. Just.... here, look:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Haley: Oh brother. She's soooooooo dramatic. Very soap-opera-y. She needs to be singing at some "fund raising" faith revival somewhere, hamming it up for the cameras.

Phil: He's sounding pretty good. But there's way too much make-up happening here. Ugly hat, too. Can't someone find this guy a decent hat???

Melinda: Yeah-yeah... it's flawless. No surprise there. I'm not digging that outfit, though.

Blake: Oh, I love The Cure. I thought for sure he'd pick a Police song. Don't you just want to see him sing Roxanne? He could totally rock that. So hey... he's not beat-boxing (hence the omission in his name tonight). Very good change of pace. This is working.

Jordin: I keep wanting her to move a little more, and then I remember that she's only 17. Maybe the sex appeal vibe just isn't there yet. But vocally, she's pulling this off. Again, though, her speed-laden bubbliness is rubbing me the wrong way. She needs to tone down that excitability a notch or six.

The Other Chris: Yep. I'm really liking the new added percussion to the arrangement. Oopsie, he forgot some words, but this is turning out pretty good. You know, the song's a good 10 years old now. He could record this version today and it'd be a hit.


I know I've mentioned Paula's newly coherent behaviour before, but I've been avoiding going so far as to say this: She's making more sense than Simon. There. I said it. And it's freaking me out a bit.

I hope you Americans are voting for Sanjaya, because I've GOT to see what this kid does next week...

1 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Steve Martin in The Jerk much? That's my favourite question of the week now! Haha, poor Fluffy Chris. I thought the same thing about Gina, very excellent. I love Chrissie Hynde but she's not always the best singer.

March 31, 2007 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home