Saturday, March 10, 2007

Maybe I need a new battery

Thursday night, my car froze to death.

I tried to start her up Friday morning, only to discover the battery was dead. And I mean completely dead... not an ounce of juice left. Strange, since my car is only 2 years old.

Luckily, I drive a Saturn. It comes with a very handy roadside assistance guarantee. No matter where I am in Canada, I can simply dial the 1-800 number etched on my keychain and say "Help!", and they send help. For free.

So I called them up from home and asked them if a dead battery in my driveway qualifies for "roadside assistance". It did, and within 40 minutes, a tow truck pulled up. The guy gave me a boost, and instructed me to just let it idle for 15 minutes, then take it out for a spin. My problem should be solved. I asked, "Really? I don't need a new battery?" He said no, I should be fine. Yay!

I did exactly that, and then stopped somewhere for an errand. I cut the engine, went inside, and when I returned, I had a dead battery again. Fuck.

I wasn't far from our office, so I called Main Man from my cel and said "Help!". Luckily, he also offers free roadside assistance. He arrived within a few minutes and gave me a boost. He felt my battery probably needed more than just a boost. Perhaps I should take it to a place to get it properly charged. "Really? I don't need a new battery?" He said no, it probably just needs a serious charge. Yay!

So we drove both our cars to a battery place in our neighbourhood, and the guy told us it would probably need to charge for quite a while... like overnight. Thing is, it was Friday, and they'd be closed until Monday. Not the ideal solution. Still, he came out to the car (which I had left running, because I'm smart like that), and took a look at my battery. "Oh," he said. "This looks new! How old is this car?" So I told him. "That's not right," he said. "Something's not right here. Might be electrical." "Really?" I asked. "I don't need a new battery?" He said no. I should take the car to the dealer and see what's up.

So we drove both our cars to the Saturn dealer across town. I left my car running, because I'm smart like that. I talked to the service guy, and he listened and said, "Sounds like the blah-blah-blah. Your battery's probably fine, but the blah-blah-blah could be draining it. We might just need to change the blah-blah-blah." "Really?" I asked. "I don't need a new battery?" He said probably not, but he'd have a look this afternoon, and hopefully they'd be able to resolve the problem before they close for the weekend at 5pm. Yay!

So I left my car there, and rode home with Main Man. By now, it was mid-day.

At 4pm, the Saturn guy calls. "Hi Berry. Your car's ready. Yeah, so it turns out your battery needed changing. So we put in a new battery."

Huh. You don't say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home