Saturday, December 16, 2006

Running in circles

So I mentioned yesterday that I had seen a doctor about the head-spinning thing and that I was feeling better. I figured that it'd be okay to resume using the treadmill today.

There was no running involved; just a brisk walk at a decent angle. I had no plans of being a hero... I just wanted to get moving again after 1.5 weeks of sitting on my ass.

I guess because I was still feeling a little vulnerable, I took extra notice of the safety warnings posted on my treadmill. One image in particular stood out:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I stared at it for a few moments, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I soon realized that if I was going to fall off the treadmill during normal operation, this wouldn't be the way it would unfold.

If I lost my footing while moving, I would be whisked away towards the back end of the treadmill, and I would probably fall on my face.

If the belt suddenly came to a screeching halt while I was walking or running, it would seem that the speed I had generated would cause me to fly forward, straight into the control bars.

There are only two reasons I would end up looking like the guy in the image: One would be if I was shot from the front while moving on the treadmill. And if that happened, I don't think falling off the treadmill would be my biggest concern.

The second reason is the most obvious, and I'm sure you've already figured it out. A banana peel. Only stepping on a banana peel while walking on the treadmill would cause me to fall that way.

So it's settled. There will be no banana-eating on the treadmill.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A banana would do the trick. As would the towel you use to wipe the sweat off your face were it to slip off the guard rail onto the track where your feet (which had been minding their own business) might get caught. In a busy gym. Not that this has ever happened to me.

December 16, 2006 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

smart girl.

banana + you = funnies for us

December 17, 2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger Berry said...

Oh, Em... We SO need an image of that!

December 17, 2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

I strongly suggest taking a dive on a treadmill for experience sake. Especially if there is a wall in close proximity to the back of the treadmill.

December 22, 2006 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home