Saturday, January 20, 2007

I'm a cheater

I have a confession to make, and by opening my big mouth, I may be jeopardizing something good. But my semi-guilty conscience insists that I own up to my crime.

I used to subscribe to a magazine. Let's call it "Folks".

Because I was a subscriber, I had access to tons of stuff on the Folks web site, including many of the mag articles and all of the celebrity photos. All I had to do was enter my account number once way back in the early days, and the site has always remembered me (as long as I don't clear my cookies!).

Thing is, I canceled my subscription to Folks late last year, and yet I continue to enjoy free access to the site.

I realize that by posting this information here, I am bound to somehow cause Folks to launch an intense and thorough investigation to oust me, and when they uncover my real indentity, they will block my online access. I'm sure I will also appear on a subscription black-list that will be rapidly distributed to all magazines world-wide.

If I see a car parked outside my home tomorrow evening, I will know why.

Furthermore, I will no-doubt cause the folks at Folks to pay millions of dollars to overhaul their online services and make sure this type of illegal access is stopped at once. Other former subscribers will know who to blame for this, and I will never again be safe. You can't just take someone's celebrity gossip away, and then expect to not have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life. That's just naive.

But I must come clean. I must be able to look at myself in the mirror and say, "Berry, you did the right thing."

And I must never, ever clear my cookies. Ever.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home