Sunday, February 04, 2007

'Tis the season...

Well, here they are. Right on schedule. Just before spring break.

The parade of school kids that ring our door bell, trying to sell the same old crappy chocolate bars that we had to sell when we were in school.

We bought some the first year we rented this place, pretty much only because we were the new kids on the block and didn't want to be the big meanies. But that novelty wore off quick, and now the sure-fire way to piss us off is to ring our doorbell on a Sunday evening.

Besides, it's a rare thing for us to even have cash laying around. Who uses cash anymore anyway?

Thing is, there are hundreds of school kids in my neighbourhood, and the minute they sniff out someone who's willing to fork over $2.00 for a chocolate bar, they're on them like a mob.

When the bell rings at our house, we both try to ignore it for as long as possible, just to see if the other will get up first to look out the window. I usually win by saying "I'm not wearing a bra". It's like calling shotgun, and it's my umbrella excuse for not answering the door to strangers. One day, when we're much older and the bra thing doesn't even matter anymore, I might say "I'm not wearing my teeth".

For now, I just really, really wish schools would come up with better fundraising ideas. Ones that don't involve my Sunday evenings.

Or wait... you know what? If a kid rings our doorbell to shovel our driveway, that would be cool. And he'd make a helluva lot more than $2.00.

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Spence said...

y'know, some schools aren't even selling chocolate bars anymore because they're not healthy. i know, it's not funny, but there it is, i said it.

February 05, 2007 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home