Sunday, June 25, 2006

No love from this muskrat

I took a stroll through some wetlands yesterday and saw some pretty interesting things, including this little dude:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I was surprised at how calmly he let me approach him. He'd nibble on his piece of grass, pausing only to eye me sideways every time I moved a little closer.

I was also surprised to realize a few moments later that not only was he not afraid of me, he was merely tolerating me.

Maybe he's used to the occasional idiot human wandering around his habitat, stopping in awe of him chewing a blade of grass. In fact, I think he's annoyed by it.

By the time I took this picture, his patience had run out. He literally threw down his tasty blade in disgust and let his arms hang to the side, and then sighed. I think he may even have rolled his eyes at me. And I can't say for sure, but I think I saw him put his scrawny little paws on his hips in irritated admonition.

He glanced one more time my way, as if to say "Are you happy now?", and then stomped back into the water and swam away, muttering something under his breath (I think it might have been "...goddamn tourists...").

A little embarrassed by my humanness, I drove home... humming "Muskrat Love" all the way.


2 Comments:

Blogger anne altman said...

doodlecat would have been all over that thing like a bum on a baloney sandwich.


i'm not going to let her read this post because she'll whine about the mouse she lost last night.

June 25, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Yikes. In case Doodlecat somehow sneaks online without you knowing, you might want to clue her in in advance that this "lil' dude" was about 15 inches long (not counting the tail).

.... might cause her to rethink her plan of attack.

Just sayin'.

June 25, 2006 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home