Friday, September 15, 2006

A most awesome night out

Main Man took me to see Pink Martini last night as a birthday gift. It took place in an old, magnificently restored theatre called the Granada. If you look at the pictures in the Granada link, I was sitting at one of the tables up close to the stage (shown on the bottom left-hand corner of the page).

First, I must say... no matter what your taste in music, or your age, or hair colour, if you ever get a chance to see this band perform live, by all means, DO IT.

I've seen too many concerts to count, and this was the most memorable. We were joined by the most eclectic audience of all walks of life, and I think that added to the experience.

The band performs songs in all kinds of different languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese.... yes, Japanese!... Croatian, etc.). Since they were in Quebec, they figured they should speak French to their audience last night. They did a fantastic job, and occasionally, when they didn't know a word, the audience was happy to jump in and help them. It was all very warm and friendly and set the tone for the evening.

There was a moment, though, when the band leader attempted to introduce a song called "Hang on Little Tomato". He explained the origins of the story, which stems from a Life Magazine article from decades ago about the making of ketchup. Anyway, long story short... the band leader was trying to say "big and juicy tomato", but inadvertently used the wrong French word for "juicy", and ended up saying "big and orgasmic tomato". Yes, well... the audience went wild and clapped and cheered, much to his confusion.

I'm not sure anyone ended up telling him what he said. But I'm buying ketchup today...

p.s. - I'm going to see Roger Hodgson (of Supertramp) at the Granada in November.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

I'm jealous after reading your post and reading some of their website. Sounds cool. They're in NYC tomorrow, wish I was there!

September 17, 2006 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who feels that way about tomatoes.

September 18, 2006 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home