Thursday, September 21, 2006

Well... you are

Remind me again why it's not okay to describe someone as "fat"? Provided they are, of course.

I just witnessed a scenario while in the cashier line at a store. Two women talking; one is trying to point out another woman (a fat one) standing in another line. Something about a product she has in her basket,... whatever.

The first woman was using different means to identify the fat woman. The second woman wasn't quite understanding who she should be looking at. Woman #1 said things like "the 3rd in line"; "with the sweater"; "with the glasses".

Why didn't she just say "the fat one"? This woman was, afterall, the only fat one in that line. There was no room for confusion with that description.

I wanted to interject every time she tried to come up with a different way to describe her. "She means the fat one". "Oh, yes, I see her now". It would have been so easy.

Seriously, if we could all just allow ourselves to use the simplest, most obvious terms to describe something or someone, we could speed up conversations all over the world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that reminds me of a call I took at the restaurant the other day. someone lost a card and they desrcibed their waitress as being large. then he went on to say he hoped it wasn't me (it was!) I told him thats okay I know I am not skinny no point pretending I am

September 21, 2006 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this in the next office meeting.

which editor? the bitchy skinny one that looks like a chicken bone.


that'll get me a raise! hahahahaa

September 21, 2006 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your too much! There are times I wish we could describe people the way we see it. Would definately make for an easier world and much less complication!!!

September 22, 2006 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home