Wednesday, February 28, 2007

American Idol - The Girls, week 2

Before I begin, I'd like to file a formal complaint with the producers of A.I.:

Dear sirs: Paula Abdul is shockingly sharp this year. There's an element of entertainment missing because of this. Please tell her to stop it.

Thanks,

Berry

And now, back to business...

Goth Gina: Wow, the background singers are sucking. It's making her sound off-key, but it's them that's off. She's a good singer, but something's missing. Can't quite put my finger on it. Oh, I see.. Simon's hit the nail on the head: where has her edge gone?

Waterworks Alaina: Hmmm... this is hot and cold. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sucks. She's got good presence, there's no denying that. But a weak voice.

Lakisha: Hey, she looks pretty good! Kinda younger, I'd say. I wish she had more time up there, because I think she was just getting her engines going before she had to stop. Not her greatest performance, but we all know she can bring the house down.

Melinda: Ah yes... one of the best songs of all time (Funny Valentine). She's blowing Lakisha right out of the water. I'd buy this in a second. But still, the post-performance over-the-top humility and little-girl-lost look is starting to wear on me.

Barbarella-Antonella: Yikes. Shaky. Girl's had a bad week, I suppose. The nerves make her sound like a goat. But whoa! She nailed that high note. That voice range will come in handy during the squealing sequences for her next film. Sorry, sorry... that was horrible. Funny, but horrible.

Jordin: Mulan? Fucking Mulan?? Oh Jordin, Jordin, Jordin. Do you know how badly I want to spell your name with an "a"? Sorry, that's besides the point. We liked you when you were rockin', girl. This is awful. I'm gonna go fold my laundry. Jesus, girl. Seriously. (Uh... the judges LOVED this...??? Holy cow, they're really pushing her through.)

Stephanie: She's really in her element here. She's got a maturity about her, for a teenager. Yeah, she's giving a Mary J. Blige vibe to a Beyonce song. She's got a rawness about her that really works. This is good.

Leslie: She reminds me of Stevie Nicks, physically. But yikes... I can appreciate what she's trying to do here, but it's coming across all wrong. Plus, I'm really wanting her to stop slouching.

Haley: Much better than last week. But she's still going home within the next 2 weeks.

Sabrina: Almost forgot about her. She's so likable, but her voice doesn't resonate well with me. A little too high-pitch for me, I think. I'm sure she's quite good, but I wouldn't miss her if she went.


Haley, Leslie, Alaina, and Barbarella can all go. But I'll bet Gina goes, because she probably doesn't have a huge support system that's dialing their asses off right now. Sad, but true.



2 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

You are so right about Paula.

I still love Lakisha. She performed so brilliantly last week that I suspect most of her forthcoming performances will not quite measure up. Of course, she is still amazing.

I like Melinda's voice, but I agree with you about her demeanor.

I don' care who goes home so long as Lakisha and Melinda stay.

March 01, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Excellent Berry (you know, since I agree with most of it). Someone needs to get Paula back on her Percocet.

March 03, 2007 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home