Wednesday, February 21, 2007

American Idol - The Girls

Aaaaack! Due to some really poor timing on my part, I didn't make it home in time for the start of the show. I missed the first two performances, so all I've got for them is a critique of their 3-second recap clip from the end of the show.

Stephanie: Hey! She looks like Fantasia!

Amy: Hey! She doesn't look a thing like Fantasia!

Leslie: Great rock voice potential. Hate those moves, though. A bit distracting. Is she wearing an office dress? And what the hell are those, Hookers of the Caribbean boots? Interesting.

Sabrina: Christina A. with a tight perm, but without the depth of voice. Simon says it's the best he's heard so far. Easy there, Simon. She's only the 4th one up.

BFF Antonella: Nervous tension, personified. Uh-oh... even Mom just made a "yikes!" face. That can't be good. I'm thinking the BFF who got the boot last week just smiled and put her voodoo doll down.

Sparky Jordin: Looks like a young Chaka Kahn, only way more beautiful. Great song choice (Tracy Chapman). I like her lower register notes. Whoa... she's really rockin' this. Damn good job.

Vanilla Nicole: Plain, forgettable look. Oh no... she is WAY too white to be singing Chaka. (I don't think I've ever refered to Chaka Kahn twice in one day before. Just sayin'...). Oh god. I can't look anymore. She sounds and looks like she just found her drunken boyfriend in a hotel room with a stripper after a 3-day bender. It's not pretty.

Haley: Too much vibrato. The whole song is revolving around it. Reminds me of my mother-in-law singing a pop song with an opera voice.

Background Melinda: So weird. She really comes out of her shell when she sings. God-DAMN she can sing! I thought she'd be a wooden deer-in-headlights figure, but she's really putting it all out there. Just brilliant. And then, when she's done, it's like a switch is flipped, and she's back to being afraid of her own shadow. Maybe she just needs a neck.

Alaina Waterworks: Hmmm.... that song didn't showcase her voice at all. Simon & Ryan take a few jabs at each other and completely hijack her spotlight, so she brings it back by starting to recite her own voting number. Atta girl!

Goth Gina: Great, great voice. Aw look... she made Mom start crying during the 1st verse. I think Gina's afraid of vampires, though, judging by the giant Crusaders' cross bling around her neck.

Lakisha: She's been my fave during the Hollywood series ................................................ ............................................ ................................. ........................................... ....................................... ...................................... ........................... ........................ Sorry. Couldn't type. Hand was busy picking my friggin' jaw up from the floor. Let's hope she doesn't pull a Mandisa and come out singing gospel next month. This girl is awesome!!!

Tomorrow night, 4 go home. I don't even care who at this point. There are enough sucky ones to pick from.


2 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Stephanie was good, but not so good that I remember her performance. I think it is going to be between Melinda and Lakisha. They rock.

I think the girls were way better than the guys as a whole.

So who is going home?

February 21, 2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Hard to say who's going home, since I didn't see the first 2 girls, but I'm betting on Antonella and Haley for sure.

February 22, 2007 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home