Sunday, April 15, 2007

Oh my, I've been tagged!

It's my very first time! And I must say, it doesn't hurt one bit. Dale has started a fun stroll down Musical Lane, and I'm joining the conga line.


What was the first recorded music you bought?

I don't have a clue who sang this, but it was a French ditty on a 45 called "Skippy le Kangourou", picked up at the check-out counter of a grocery store when I was about 9. It was simply the French version of the popular "Skippy the Kangaroo" TV theme song, and I knew it by heart. I believe I may have paid $0.50 for it.... pretty much 1/2 of my allowance at the time.


What was the last music you bought?

You're gonna love this: "Just a Little Taste of Mexican Music, Vol 1". I downloaded the cd off iTunes a few weeks ago because we were having a Mexican feast for my neice's 17th birthday, and I thought the occasion called for some stereotypical Mexican Hat type tunage in the background. A good time was had by all.


What was the first "professional" music show you ever went to?

When I was 10, my mom took me to see René Simard at the local arena. This guy was the Donny Osmond of Quebec... a brilliantly talented singing star at a very young age, and later a teen heartthrob. He's still a celebrity around here, and has dedicated his life to music and the arts. In an unfortunate twist of fate, he and his wife would have 2 children, both of whom are deaf.

My first rock concert was Journey, in Montreal in 1981. I wore out my lighter during Anyway You Want It.


What was the last?

Roger Hodgson in November. I don't get out much.


What's your "desert island" album?

Oh wow. If I had to grab one without the time to thoroughly think it through (because of all the drama of the boat sinking and all), I'd probably head straight for Seal's first album. It's probably one of the few albums I own that I can listen to in its entirety a couple of times a year, and still enjoy every single track.


What's your favorite album/song title? (the *title*, not the actual album or song).

I cannot say honestly, because I have my own nicknames for songs and albums. I know. It's weird, but it works for me. I can't even give you an example, because I can't think of the real song name! Oh wait... lemme just pick up a cd and give you one..... okay. Here we go: Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight", is known as "The Candlelight Song" in my house. (Told you it was weird)...


What's your favourite album art (include an image of it if you can)?

You know, the bulk of my music purchases during the last few years has been online, so my only point of reference to answer this question is my collection of albums pre-iTunes. Which isn't very fair to the newcomers, because I'm sure they may have spent all kinds of money designing the perfect album cover that I never bothered to see. However, if I must refer to the oldies, I'd pick Kansas' "Point of Know Return". I spent many teenage days staring and analyzing that cover. It was mesmerizing. Have a look-see:



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Ideal choice for a Karaoke song?

I don't believe there is such a thing. Really, I don't.


Song you don't like that WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR HEAD if you hear it.

Ooooh, nice try. I almost fell for that one. Just naming it would probably start the agonizing process.


Which is cooler? -- Vinyl? CD? Cassette? 8-track?

I'm gonna go ahead and bring this thread into the latest century and say mp3.



Yay!!! I did it!! Please do feel free to post your own responses in the Comments, or link us to your bloggity-blog.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

For the record, I have no idea who Skippy the Kangaroo or le Kangourou is either. I do remember the meteoric rise of Rene Simard however.

Carry on my wayward Berry!

April 15, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Dale: For your education purposes... Skippy the Bush Kangaroo

April 15, 2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Interesting, I was a prime candidate for this kangaroo propaganda yet it is missing from my memory banks. Odd. Like me.

April 15, 2007 7:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

When I was 5 I loved Rene Simard. Since I couldn't marry him, I found myself another Quebecker to marry. My French Fry doesn't sing, but that's okay.

April 18, 2007 5:52 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

But he does have the Dorothy Hamill / Rene Simard hair which is nice Tanya.

April 18, 2007 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home