Wednesday, May 17, 2006

American Idol - 3

The judges are acting like overly tired children tonight, and Ryan is this close to either calling a time-out or grounding them all.

This is promising to be a very entertaining night (from the contestants, anyway)... and I'm very much looking forward to it.

My take:

ELLIOTT: Open Arms: Perfect song choice for him. Perfect performance. What You Won't Do for Love: Perfect choice again. I love this song! I could watch him sing this type of stuff for a long period of time. This is definitely his genre. I Believe to my Soul: Not a well-known song. He's not showing the "coming out of his shell" side of him like in the first two songs. He's back to nailing his feet to one spot on the stage. He has no stage presence at all right now... proof of that is the fact that I'm writing this while he's singing. When I look up from the page, he's in the EXACT same position as before; I've missed nothing.

KATHARINE: I Believe I Can Fly: Yes, and I believe I'm sick of you, Kat. Why does her face NEVER match the sentiments of the lyrics?? This has irritated me from day one. She needs a faster paced song... that's where she excels. Paula is stuttering through her critique and seems stalled on a word. She wants to say how much Kat sucked, but she is incapable of being anything other than butterflies-and-puppies positive. Kat was not pleased with the song choice... this much was obvious during the video clip with Clive Davis. When she learned what the song was, her face dropped and I do believe I saw a dagger or two shoot from her eyes. Somewhere Over the Rainbow: I'm not familiar with this rendition, but she sounds great and is doing an awesome job. I Ain't Got Nothin' but the Blues: Kat enters stage-left with her usual cheesy stripper strut. She's doing that thing again with her face... that perma-smile thing. She's singing about having the blues, and yet she's smiling all over the place!!!! Ugh. Just get it over with already.

TAYLOR: Dancing in the Dark: He's doing a great job. I am half-expecting an 18-yr-old Courtney Cox to climb up on stage and dance (like in the original video, for those of you too young to remember). Oh look! He's showing great entertainment insight by trying to recreate that famous video dance scene with Paula. Hmmm... but it's not quite working out. Good idea, though. You Are So Beautiful: Haven't I been saying ALL ALONG that he reminds me of Joe Cocker??!! I have goosebumps before he has even started to sing. I just KNOW he's gonna nail this. Yep. He's nailing it alright. This has to be the most authentic performance I've ever seen on American Idol (with Fantasia's "Summertime" running a very close 2nd). Try a Little Tenderness: Oh man... he's SO winning this next week. I have smiled through this entire performance. He's absolutely riveting. What a great way to end the evening!

It doesn't really matter whether Elliott or Katharine goes on Wednesday, because Taylor's walking away with the trophy in the end. I do hope it's Katharine that goes, though. Elliott deserves one more day in the spotlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home