Wednesday, May 24, 2006

American Idol - Final 2

One of the first things out of Ryan's mouth refers to the fact that the show has been airing since January.

January??!!! Really?? I've been dedicating my Tuesday nights to this show since January? Christ, I need to get a life!

The obvious truth came out during this last showdown: Taylor's a natural; Katharine's not.

Sure, she has the expert voice training. And she also appears to have undergone some pageant-like stage training (how to look insincere and phony while smiling and batting your eyes at the camera). But a natural performer, she isn't. She's too technical.

Taylor, on the other hand, commands attention when he's on stage. He could be singing a meatloaf recipe, and he'll relay it with such gusto and animation that we'll all be craving meatloaf before the song is over... and it would be the best meatloaf we've ever had.

Taylor will win, or at least he should. Whoever said he was not marketable is insane. People will trip over themselves in a hurry to see this guy perform live, because his performances will never be predictable. When his songs come on the radio, people will be shouting "Woo!" and "Soul patrol!" in their cars, even if they're alone.

In the meantime, Katharine needs to shed the plastic and earn her stripes. She needs to go sing in a seedy club for a couple of years and experience a few of life's pitfalls before she takes the big stage again. She needs some unsheltered life experiences to teach her to feel her lyrics. (I'll never get over her smiling through her "blues" song.) No amount of voice coaching will do that for her.

But more importantly...

What the hell will I do next Tuesday night??!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katharine shouldn't win... it should hands down be Taylors year.

I'm right there with you, what the hell am I going to do on Tuesday and Wednesday nights?

I can't wait until Big Brother starts up... when is that????

May 24, 2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger Dreamlover said...

I love big brother and Sould Patrol all the way baby.

May 24, 2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I watched the finale and instead of being happy I felt, lonely. I mean what to do on Tues and Wednesdays?

I'm so glad that he won instead of Katharine though. She's so insincere.

She lives in freaking Brentwood and has been trained since birth with a family that loves her! She really does need to experience the bad in order to sing with heart.


I don't watch Big Brother, so I have nothing. My husband doesn't like shows that have annoying emotions. He can barely stand AI and by stand I mean he loves it and hides behind a pillow if anyone starts crying.

May 25, 2006 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home