Saturday, May 20, 2006

Me and my DVD player

It's STILL raining, and I haven't been able to golf since (gasp!) Tuesday. Main Man is away on business, so I rented a few movies and camped out in front of the TV all day. I had some catching up to do.

Here are my rain-induced grumpified reviews:

Brokeback Mountain: What.... is that it? I mean, seriously... what was all the hype about? This reminds me of my reaction to The English Patient. I didn't get all that hype either. I did love the cinematography, though. I only wish I could've understood Heath Ledger's lines a little more clearly.

North Country: It was Norma Rae-meets-Silkwood Light. Charlize Theron is way too pretty, and smearing some dirt on her face doth not a miner make her. And why on earth would a northern Minnesota chick have a southern accent?? Shit, northern Minnesota-ites have thicker Canadian accents than Canadians.

A History of Violence: I was dying to see this one. I was sure the whole movie was going to be about the mystery of "Tom"'s real identity. Then it's revealed that he really is Joey The Killer. (Oops... belated spoiler alert). I wasn't expecting that little gem to be solved within the first hour, and without much fanfare. The dialogue bordered on cheesiness too often to not be noticeable.

Memoirs of a Geisha: Oooh, yes. I enjoyed this one thoroughly. Probably because I never read the book. But for the first time today, I didn't see a single scene coming. Beautiful cinematography as well. And good score. (What the hell will happen to movie scores when John Williams dies??)

They're calling for more rain tomorrow, but my ass is sore and I couldn't possibly sit through another movie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dreamlover said...

I haven't seen any of the movies present but based upon your reviews will see Memoirs!!

Thanks!! ;0)

May 21, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I haven't seen any of them either. I have seen Ice Age 2 and Barbie Mermaida. Cinematography was so-so...

May 22, 2006 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home