Sunday, June 11, 2006

Dream a little dream (*cough*hack*)

I quit smoking three years ago. Since then, I'm not able to be around cigarette smoke. It makes me want to puke. It also makes me want to slap a smoker up'side the head and yell "Wake UP, you idiot!!".

But anyway...

I find that my subconscience hasn't quite caught up with things. I am still smoking... in my dreams.

Every now and then, I catch myself lighting up in a dream, and I'll be startled and say "Oh! I forgot I don't smoke anymore!" But then I'll actually pause and remind myself that I'm only dreaming, so it's okay.

And I continue puffing away.

In my dream, I feel like I'm getting away with something. Like this is where I go to sneak a smoke without ever getting caught, and without ever feeling guilty. Sort of like my own little Vegas.

Last night, I smoked during my entire dream. Non-stop. And this morning, I actually felt like I had a smoker's hangover. For those of you who have never smoked before, a nicotine hangover feels a lot like an alcohol hangover, only with the added sensation of a sumo wrestler sitting on your chest. If you accidentally take a deep breath, you will cough until noon. It happens when someone who might normally smoke a pack a day ends up smoking, say... 14 packs at a party.

Anyway, I can't explain the smoker's hangover this morning, but given the results, I'm now terrified of dreaming about participating in a fire-engine chili eating contest.



6 Comments:

Blogger Ike said...

Seems you need one of those lame dream interpreter books, or a google search on dreams. Firehouse chili? Just be thankful you don't dream like your teeth are crumbling inside our mouth like eating rock candy (I get that one all the time and it bums the hell out of me). BTW, I'll be smoke-free for 3 years on 7/27... Best thing I ever did for myself. Nice blog.

June 11, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

what's with the crumbling teeth thing?

i don't do meth!

June 12, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

(Ok, I totally just edited my comment, cuz I don't want you to think I'm wierd right from the get go.)

Strange the power of the mind - that a dream can affect us physically.

June 12, 2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm not as wierd as Teri M. or maybe I should let you and Teri judge that...I quit 10 months ago and I've had a few of the same dreams. I'm mad that I don't have more of them because I still miss it.

I still like the smell of passing smoke (you know from those people now relegated to the middle of the road so they're not breaking a rule) but definitely not on someone's smelly smokey body. Stupid smokers. Got a light?

June 12, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

Okay I used to smoke about 5 years ago and I STILL have wants and dreams about it. I can't stand the smell and I HATE smoking but there are moments.

Oh and one time for um no reason I stayed up a long time and drank a lot and ended up smoking a lot and when I finally got to sleep say a day later, I HAD THE WORST smokers hangover.

Okay what goes on here stays here. Got it?!

June 12, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger AmyinMotown said...

Hey, I think we quit sort of at the same time, I remember commiserating with you back then! Yay both of us--I too have not had one puff (got coose once) since 2003. I used to have those dreams all the time when I first quit. Not so much anymore. I agree with Dale, I miss them! All the smoky goodness, none of the cancer.

June 12, 2006 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home