Saturday, July 22, 2006

On climate and food...

FACT #1: Thunderstorms scare the crap out of kids, no matter how much they insist they "like them".

RESEARCH DATA: At the tail end of a recent 7am earth-shattering, unbelievably loud and crackling thunder storm, I decided to check up on Step-Son to see how he was faring. What I found was so cute, I just had to snap a picture (without his knowledge). My flash coincided with the paparazzi-like lightning happening outside the window, so he never suspected my presence. The lump under the bunched-up comforter at the head of the bed is Step-Son. That is indeed a brave foot sticking out. Here... see for yourself:



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Later that morning, when I brought up the subject of the storm, I received the following nonchalent reply: "Oh, that? Storms don't bother me. I just sleep through them."

Sure sweetie. Whatever you say. (Please don't be mad at me for publishing your cuteness for the world to see).

FACT #2: Kids, when left to their own devices, will come up with the grossest-looking yet yummy sandwiches.

RESEARCH DATA: When I asked Step-Son what he wanted for lunch, he very proudly said he'd take care of his own lunch today. Fine by me, I replied, fully intending to help. What would you like for me to take out for you? Nothing, he said. He knows where everything is. So I went downstairs to the office to check my email. When I returned, I found this:




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As you can see, the hamburger buns were very artfully smeared with Nutella both on the insides as well as on top. They were eaten as-is... as a sandwich... and not taken apart Oreo-style. (Step-Son asked me repeatedly why the hell I was taking a picture of his lunch, and was I done yet?... because he was ready to eat now.)

I, on the other hand, had a boring turkey breast sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes. I have no imagination.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what were you thinking!

passing up hamburger bun nutella goodness!!!

some days...it's like I don't even know you.

July 23, 2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I love me some nutella. My friend from Germany got me hooked.

It sounds like you are having a good time with your step-son. :))

July 23, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

oh you have taste, you just realize that nutella and turkey don't mix so well.

July 24, 2006 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Berry, please check out what my dad recently came up with when left to fend for himself...



And my ex-boyfriend used to make pudding sandwiches when left to his own devices.

That kid's never going to outgrow it. Not that he should.

July 24, 2006 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RRGGHHH!!!! Why does Blogger have to make my links such a mess??? Sorry!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lodigs/156545473/

July 24, 2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home