Wednesday, July 12, 2006

He's a loaner, but he qualifies

My step-son is visiting us for the summer. He lives thousands of miles away, so we don't get to see him often. He'll be 11 at the end of the summer.

There are tons of reasons why I'm happy he's here, but one in particular I never get to talk about, 'cuz it's kinda personal. But I can blog about it...

When you're in your late 30's and don't have kids, people actually ask "but why"?, as though they had a right to know. When you're younger, folks give you the benefit of the doubt that you'll get cracking on that project eventually. But at my age, they figure you've been slacking and should explain yourself.

Well, for starters, my story is pretty complicated. I usually just cheerfully say "ah well... it wasn't in the stars for me." If they persist with their interrogation, I'll give them the old "Well, I lost 3 babies that took 6 years to conceive and thought maybe I should stop now that I don't have any more money or the heart to go through that again."

That usually does the trick.

But having Step-Son with me puts an end to this. I can just point to him and say, "See? Got one right here."

And then I pass the test.

Besides all that, he's a hoot to have around. And now that I've received my free Pop-Tart coupons, I'm the coolest step-mom in the world, 'cuz we'll be eating Pop-Tarts for dinner and all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Teri M. said...

I've never understood people who think that it's ok to pry like that. I'm thinking that someone needs to develop some sort of tact injection, that you get with all your other shots as a child, because there are so many people in the world who lack it. Sheesh.

The PopTart for Dinner Stepmom - excellent!

July 12, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

Don't the questions piss you off? I'm in my forties and never married, which makes me a sexual suspect, I guess. People ask me all the time "why haven't you found anyone?" Well, I have. Several. Spent eight years with one. People who are married are sometimes lonelier than people like me.

But I can't imagine dealing with really painful questions like the ones you get. Sheesh. People suck sometimes.

July 12, 2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Questions - bad.

Your post - Very good.

PopTarts - Quite good.

July 12, 2006 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite comeback has always been...I don't like children.

really, really, stops them in their tracks. their little minds just don't know what to do with a statement like that.

yeah, I have special talent for evil.

July 12, 2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I had to deal with the opposite questions at 23 with three kids, two of which are 10 months apart.

Usually, the people barging into your life are the ones too afraid to look at their own.

July 13, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I'm right there with BP. I'm 23 with 3 kids and if I get one more stupid ass question I am going to scream. Most of the time I deal with it but honestly I get tired of people staring at me and my girls like we are a circus sideshow.

People can be so damn nosy.

My questions are usually along the lines of whether or not they are mine, if I've heard of contraception, same dad, my childhood. You know stuff that should apparently be public knowledge.

Oh and yes they are all mine, I HAVE heard of condoms, and no I'm not a whore, but thanks for asking.

If you live in suburbia it sucks harder.


Sorry for the rant it's been a long day and I no longer have a personal blog. :0) I LOVE PopTarts though.

July 13, 2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Virenda! I've been meaning to tell you... I'm having trouble visiting your blog lately; my computer freezes! It seems to take forever to download all the images. Is it just me? :o(

July 14, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger anne altman said...

yes, it's hard...

i'm an island within my community.

but not because i want to be.


sigh.

July 14, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

No apprently it isn't just you. I'm planning on fixing it. :0) Thanks for letting me know.



(Lena told me last night actually)

July 15, 2006 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home