Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I'm sneaky like that

Okay, one more post pertaining to my recent travels, and then I'm done with the subject.

I wanna talk about airport security. Anyone who's travelled recently knows that there are all kinds of added restrictions regarding what can and cannot be brought on board. Liquids, gels, etc.... they're a no-no. Certain restrictions have been lifted (i.e. you can carry on a bottle of water, as long as it was bought in the gates area, after clearing security), but for the most part, the screening is still pretty serious and thorough.

Well, okay... not so thorough afterall.

Main Man and I were selected for a random "extra" search and herded along a corridor to the special screening area. We were asked if we were carrying any gels or liquids. We answered no (I was not aware that I was actually lying at that point).

We were each directed into the air-pressure thingie machine, where you stand still and your body is air-tested for explosive residue. Our carry-on stuff was taken apart... completely... and searched. These included my purse (a medium sized back-pack style with tons of pockets and compartments), Main Man's laptop bag, and Main Man's camera bag.

Zippers and snaps and pockets were opened and emptied. My granola bar was inspected in detail. Satisfied, the TSA guy handed back my stuff and said I was free to go.

Main Man wasn't so lucky. They took his Carmex lip stuff. He was very sad. Then he was free to go.

As we walked away, it suddenly dawned on me that I had put my plastic bottle of Purell gel in one of the many tiny pockets of my purse earlier that morning. I also had a stick of Blistex in yet another tiny pocket. I checked my purse. They were still there.

We went through 20 minutes of special searches and inspection by no less than three TSA staff, and I walked away with a bottle of clear gel that was resting in an open pocket of my purse.

Still feel safe?

1 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Crazy

October 11, 2006 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home