Tuesday, May 15, 2007

American Idol - 3 bottles of beer on the wall

Yay! No guest mentor looking to plug a new cd, or pimping themselves to revive a career that dried up 40 years go. This time, it's a fast-paced parade of songs from the last 3 contestants standing, and it has turned out to be relatively entertaining. It's also an organic episode, with very little fillers.

JORDIN: Judges' Pick: This song's bringing out the pop quality in her voice. It's making me believe she can really win this. Simon says he doesn't like the jazzy vibe to the song arrangement, but I think it's actually showcasing exactly the type of sound that suits her best. She moves well to this, compared to other styles of music......... Producers' Pick: She's having trouble moving around in her Gene Simmons KISS shoes, but she's nailing the vocal part. She also seems to have matured a lot. Gone is the giggling bubblegum teen on speed. She has simmered it down to "bubbly".............. Jordin's Pick: She chose a memorable one. She sang it well. All eyes are on her. The audience loves her. Given all of that, I'd say it was a success. But Simon is dissing her, and now she's attempting an unfunny retort. Sshhhhh, Jordin. Quit while you're ahead, sweetie.

BLAKE: Judges' Pick: I called it! I called it! Who called it? I DID!! Weeks ago, I said he should do Roxanne. Obviously, the Idol cast and producers are reading my blog. I'm very flattered. Unfortunately, he's not doing as well as I'd hoped. LOVE his voice, but his movements seem laboured.............. Producers' Pick: Oh yeah! Perfect song for him. He's looking very relaxed up there. Adam Levine wishes he could sing this as well live. This is spot-on. Perfect................. Blake's Pick: Half-way through the song, I actually forgot this was A.I. I was watching intently, and was thoroughly entertained. I love that this guy knows music and is progressive.

MELINDA: Judges' Pick: What, no crowd showed up for Mel? That's not a good sign. I'm not sure why the hell Randy picked a Whitney song. It's so far off of her natural key. Is he setting her up for failure? Maybe they're paving the way for Jordin. I'm not digging this. The judges are pretending to gush, but I'm not buying it. They have an ulterior motive................. Producers' Pick: Tina Turner. Much better choice than Whitney. BUT, they're not doing her any favours, because 93% of Idol viewers have never heard this song. Seriously, I'm convinced they're trying to sabotage her voting power........................ Mel's Pick: Ah, there's the crowd! We're also seeing the first ever sign of emotion from her. I preferred the first time she sang this. It was a nice surprise at the time, but now it seems contrived. And the back-up singers are wearing way flashier outfits than her.


I have a feeling it might very well be Jordin and Blake in the final. Or at least, if based on tonight, it should be. Jordin's the best pop material left; Blake's got tons of progressive commercial potential; and Mel's market is the older crowd.

Whatever the outcome, the bottom line is that I get my life back after next week. WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home