Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Quite by accident...

I have discovered a new favourite cd that I just can't stop playing. And it comes from quite an unexpected source.

Her name is Theresa Sokyrka, and she was the Canadian Idol runner-up from a couple of seasons ago. I do remember catching one of those episodes and hearing her sing. I commented on the super quality of her voice, and how I'd like to hear her do some jazzy-folk stuff, because it would suit her perfectly.

But I was watching Canadian Idol, so I never gave her a second thought.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was meandering through iTunes and came across her name. I remembered her from that Idol episode and checked her out. The song samples intrigued me, so I downloaded the cd. I played it once, and thought "Heeeey, that's not bad".

Then I played it again, and realized there was a lot more going on on this cd than I first noticed. So I played it yet again. And again and again and again. It's one of those albums that just grows on you, until you realize just how fucking brilliant it is.

It's also one of those discoveries that MUST be shared. Granted, the cd came out almost a year ago (or maybe more), but unless you're living in Saskatchewan, or are a die-hard Canadian Idol fan, you've probably never heard of her.

From what I understand, her first cd was a commercial pop thingie. This one, her second, was written entirely by her, and she was behind all the production decisions. She's got some big names and talent involved, and it shows. It's called "Something is Expected".

Like most truly awesome albums, the songs that turn out to be the gems are not the ones that get radio play. You need to check out the in-between stuff.

Okay. I'm all done cramming this down your throat. But seriously... check it out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read you blog. I felt the same about the CD by Theresa. Very surprised at quality on first listen and now has become a favourite on my IPod. I agree, the more you listen to this, the better it gets and the more you discover on it. Example is the song "without waking". This should be a hit on indie/alternative adult stations!

September 22, 2008 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home